Tuesday 7 February 2023

The Delegate by Ali Carter



I read and enjoyed Blood List a couple of years ago, so when I got the chance to read & review Ali Carter’s latest DCI Harry Longbridge thriller, I jumped at the chance. I’ll hold my hands up & confess that I missed the release of its follow up, Dead Girls Don’t Cry, so reading the blurb was enough for me to have a major “wait, what?!!” moment. 



No doubt that will make you wonder if you can read The Delegate as a stand-alone? The answer to that is YES, you get more than enough detail to piece together the back history. Would I have enjoyed this book even more if I’d read the second book? Almost certainly, Ali Carter is a genius in letting you see what makes people tick and I WILL seek it out and read it (& then reread The Delegate). 

This book is perfect for lovers of dark, psychological thrillers. Charlotte is as fascinatingly manipulative as before and the idea that she chooses and uses the wife of her nemesis to carry out her acts of revenge is so in character. I particularly enjoyed getting into Annie’s mind, seeing how the past impacted her present, making her the perfect stooge for Charlotte. Even more so, I loved seeing how the balance of power between the two women shifted over the course of the book. There are a satisfying number of deaths, some of which may give you pause for thought next time you are swiping right on a dating site or about to eat, and with each despatch the story builds to an exciting conclusion. 

All in all this was a great read and, somehow, I don’t think that we have heard the last about Charlotte Peterson. I’ll be over here… waiting…

Many thanks to Anne Cater & Random Things Tours for the opportunity to read & review this fab book. And thank you Ali Carter for writing another page turner! 













 

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Did Life End Up With Us? : By S.S. O’Connor

  This is Book 1 in The Secrets of Life Quartet & the fact its headline linked these to The Big Bang and Trump piqued my interest. My ba...